Writing & Critiquing
Manuscript Reader, Tor, 2012-present
- Read submitted manuscripts and prepare written reports with a recommendation to acquire or reject.
Blogger & Book Critic, Stacked Books Blog, 2009-present
- At least twice per week, review youth literature, create book lists, and prepare posts on readers' advisory and related topics.
- Develop relationships with industry professionals in order to bring new and interesting content to the blog, including author interviews and guest posts.
- Record an average of 70,000 hits per month.
Judge, Cybils Awards, 2011-2017
- 2011: Round 2, YA Science Fiction and Fantasy
- 2012: Round 2, YA and Children's Graphic Novels
- 2013: Round 2, YA Speculative Fiction
- 2014: Round 1, YA Speculative Fiction
- 2015: Round 1, YA Speculative Fiction
- 2016: Round 2, YA and Children's Graphic Novels
- 2017: Round 1, YA Speculative Fiction
Presenter, Kidlitcon, 2013
- Critical Reviews and Why They Matter, with Kelly Jensen
Youth Selector, Austin Public Library, 2014-present
- Select materials for youth ages birth to 18 in all formats, including audiovisual, print and digital.
- Manage a budget of over $1 million.
Librarian III/Assistant Branch Manager, Austin Public Library, 2013-2014
- Act as Branch Manager in absence of the Managing Librarian.
- Interview, hire, train, schedule, supervise, and evaluate 7 employees and 4 regular volunteers.
- Provide customer service for a diverse population, including circulation, reference (print and digital), and readers' advisory.
- Help lead the library's transition to an RFID circulation and security system, including training lead staff and temporary employees and contributing past experience to optimize workflow.
Assistant City Librarian, Huntsville Public Library, 2009-2013
- Interviewed, hired, trained, scheduled, supervised, and evaluated 10 employees as well as over 20 regular volunteers, court-ordered community service workers, work study students, and light duty workers.
- Acted as head librarian in the absence of the library director.
- Selected, developed, and maintained all materials for children and young adults; increased circulation of the entire youth collection by 45% and the young adult collection by 124% from 2010-2013.
- Managed Sirsi Symphony ILS, including running reports, troubleshooting, and exploring the software to facilitate improvements in library service. Led the migration to a shared consortial ILS in 2012.
- Wrote two winning grant applications that resulted in two new collections for the library: $2500 for youth music and $2500 for youth graphic novels.
- Marketed the library and its services to the community by publishing a monthly newsletter, creating and administering the library's Facebook page, creating and updating the library's renovation blog, and managing all content for the library's website.
- Led the library's transition to an RFID circulation and security system.
- Helped lead the staff through a year and a half-long renovation and expansion of the library building, including planning and executing a Grand Opening celebration which drew over 500 attendees.
- Successfully applied for the library's first e-rate cycle.
Library Assistant, Round Rock Public Library, 2008-2009
- Provided customer service for a diverse population, including circulation, reference (print and digital), and readers' advisory.
Graduate Associate, Operation Teen Book Drop, 2009
- Worked with a number of organizations, including readergirlz, YALSA, and If I Can Read, I Can Do Anything to build support and excitement for Operation Teen Book Drop 2010.
- Helped coordinate the delivery of 10,000 new books and audiobooks to American Indian teens on reservations.
- Updated the If I Can Read, I Can Do Anything website with new content about Operation Teen Book Drop 2010.
- Presented a program update at the 2009 ALA annual conference in Chicago.